I'm Laura. I am a gamer, a bookworm, a knitter, a spinner, a tatter, a seamstress, pierced, tattooed, musical, vehemently geeky and occasionally ineptly artistic. She/her.
Posted at 04 Oct 2007 01:19:59 PM
Gardening thoughts and ideas (for when I eventually have a garden). I think it's reading all the posts about canning and preserving on my RSS list and cooking forums which is inspiring this... I have so many ideas, and don't want to forget any of them!
Note - these are mostly for my own reference, at such time as I'm able to make use of them. However, if someone else finds them useful too - party on, Garth.)
- Raised beds?
Yes. Tilled land is lovely, but I live in MO, and it is -dry-. Maybe I'll luck out and get naturally rich dirt, but I'm not counting on it. Plus, I can make them any height: Farmgirl Susan's are made with 2x4s and are just a few inches off the ground, whereas the people at Gardenweb have theirs made out of cinderblocks or stacked wall stone, and are waist-high.
- Higher = good for drainage?
- Wood, cinderblocks or stone? Stone is prettier but expensive, cinderblocks are cheaper, wood (pressure-treated or non?) is more expensive than concrete, may rot. Harder to expand wood, if it's framed up with posts drilled into the ground... you can just move stone.
- Higher = the dogs won't be a threat, at least. Cats are a threat no matter what, heh.
- Sunlight a factor in height? It certainly is in placement.
- Sweet bell
- Hungarian Wax (Tammy)
- Tom Matarese's
- Jalepeno (Tammy)
- Tammy's mystery peppers
- Lord, I'd better start my own farm stand
- Something else bigger and jucier. Seed catalogue from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds should be here in December, and I can't wait!
- Sugar snap and/or snow, if they'll grow here. Again, the BCH catalogue will probably help with this, as well as Susan's blogs (she's in southern MO, which is a massive help. If she can grow it, so can I).
- My herb garden, which to date includes:
- Cinnamon Basil
And which I would like to expand with:
- Sweet basil
- Lemon thyme
- Decison pending perusal of catalogue
- In the not-garden department
- Fruit tree? Apple, maybe pear? Or oooh, lemon!
- Hummingbird feeder ("or three?" -Dan)
- Climbing rose and/or lattice(s)
(I'm going to need some substancial backyard space, I can already tell.)
- Equipment that I don't need but which would would make me squeel like a little girl:
- Crock pot (which I, thankfully, have already)
- FoodSaver vacuum sealer
- Pressure canner
- KitchenAid stand mixer
- Slab of unglazed tile to use as bread/pizza stone
- A really BIG pantry.
- I'm sure this list will grow.
- Scan in Dan's sketch of a 3-layer spice cabinet
- Build better credit score, so as to be able to afford said huge-backyard'ed house
- Win lottery.