I'm Laura. I am a gamer, a bookworm, a knitter, a spinner, a tatter, a seamstress, pierced, tattooed, musical, vehemently geeky and occasionally ineptly artistic. She/her.


How to contact me:

     laura @ cybermenology.com
     Cybermenology Handmade

View all icons
I'm sure that I could be a movie star...

Posted at 26 Jun 2010 11:49:44 AM

The paperwork is now signed, so it's official: I have a new job. No, I won't post the details here but suffice to say there won't be a gap between when my current contract ends and the new one begins.

Nevermind that I might like to have a bit of a gap, considering my extracurricular work load.

Of rather more immediate note, however: CoffeeMate's Hazlenut creamer is delicious.


My brother and I took a trip last weekend to Kansas City, for the specific purpose of taking in the Billy Joel/Elton John Face2Face concert being held at the Sprint Center. As anticipated it was amazing and not an experience that I would ever regret having. It's the second time we've seen Billy, and the first for Elton, and both were just in fantastic form.

I couldn't help but notice some professional cameramen stationed at the edge of the state, and it makes me wonder whether it would be possible to obtain a recorded copy of the concert... note to self: look into this.

Emotionally speaking, I held it together for Italian Restaurant and Norma Jean, and then lost it completely at Piano Man. It wasn't unexpected... that song has always held particular significance for us.

As I said, I'm grateful for the experience.

My Olympic project had its debut that same night, and I'm ridiculously happy with it:

Yarn: Kid Seta mohair, 3 25g balls
Needles: US #8 (5mm)
Pattern: My own, if it can be called a pattern, but I'm happy to share it if someone would like. ETA: Pattern link is in the sidebar!

Knitwise, I'm beginning to feel buried. This evening begins the Franklin Habit whirlwind, which hopefully I can get to in time owing to an unexpected mandatory drug test for the abovementioned new job. Tomorrow will be a slightly elongated Lace class, and then the Photography class, about both of which I am unreasonably excited.

I seem to have started a pair of Leyburns with the Fiber Optic sock yarn I'd bought from TLE a bit ago. It's a screamingly bright purple mixed with black and while it looked neat in plain stockinette, I decided after the cuff & a few inches that I really wasn't happy with it. The Leyburn pattern came to mind, and it seemed to me that it would help with the blotchiness.

Thus far, I'm pleased with it:

Snowflakes is on Chart J (there is no spoon Chart I). I made a bit of a goof in chart H wherein I merrily knitted along the top of some trees without noticing that I was simultaneously supposed to be starting the bottoms of some others. Rather than frog it or rework all thirty some repeats, I decided that the next set of trees would just be a bit short and non-overlapping. It's not a bug; it's a feature.

Evenstar is on a bit of a hiatus. The pattern is lovely but I didn't really like how the reeled silk was knitting up, to be honest. It's not particularly hard to work with; it just knits up like a ribbon yarn and ends up feeling coarse and inflexible. I just don't see the point in continuing only to get something which I don't really like. It's in time out for the time being, and when I start again I'm going to knit the silk along with a strand of black Baruffa Cashwool. Either the wool will tame the silk, or the silk will corrupt the wool - only time will tell. But I AM dreading starting this shawl for the fourth time...center-out beginnings drive me straight up the wall.

I've chosen a pattern to make for my nieces as a part of the New Baby package that I'll be giving their parents (no link to preserve the surprise (and also in case I end up disliking it)), and also a pattern for my parents for Christmas (ditto). I picked up some Cascade Elite Premiere on sale at the yarn shop in KC which I plan to make into a collared shrug. The yarn for my surprise gift as well as the Christmas gift is on order, and I think that both of them will be lovely even as I'm starting to panic about the number of things to which I'm "committed" in 2010.

( Click for the rest )

View all icons
An appropriate icon; someone nominate me for a prize.

Posted at 09 Jun 2009 11:55:21 PM

Ugh. Here's the thing of it:

Last Wednesday, I was persuaded to see a doctor for the problematic fingers-becoming-numb, dropping things, hands hurting problem. On Friday, I actually got in to see said doctor, who (to sum up) said that I have carpal tunnel syndrome, of the moderate variety, and handed me a prescription for twice-daily NSAIDs and wrist braces "to be worn at night without fail, and at other times during the day when convenient." Which it really isn't, ever, but I got myself into this mess.

Friday night things cheered right up when poppins17 and I went to see RENT at the Fox, with Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp, live and in person, strike me dead if I'm lying. In some ways it was beyond awesome, and in other ways ... well, I think they may have been doing this show a bit too long. It's fresher, somehow, with the kids who haven't been doing it for the better part of a decade. With Adam especially he seemed like he was doing it by rote rather than with enthusiasm... but I think it was noticeable more in the times between songs. He certainly pulled out a kickass One Song Glory. Angel, Mimi, Moreen, Collins and the rest of the cast were their usual stellar selves. (There was NOT, thank goodness, a repeat of the Angel Issues incident at Proctor's from quite a few years ago.)

I really wanted to nick the RENT poster from outside the Schnucks here, but I didn't get to it soon enough. Curses.

Caught a nasty cold, probably at the doctor's office. Saturday I was unsure, Sunday I was death on toast, and Monday was slightly better. Today is slightly better still, although I still have an inexplicable sore throat and stuffy nose.

Also today, that would be Tuesday, I bombed an interview. I'm really not sure exactly what part of anything the interviewer objected to, but after two hours I was informed that I was not a good fit. To quote, I was "damn insightful" and "if [he] had a developer position open, he'd hire me in a heartbeat." Of which I don't believe a word: he'd subject me to exactly as much scrutiny for a dev job as he would for this tech support one, and I know perfectly well that I don't possess the language skills that they use in that shop. But I digress. I'm trying not to be insulted by the notion that I'm more suited to dev than to work on the other end of computer support, but rather look at it as if he was able to tell something about me that I can't see myself. Maybe he's right... I really don't know.

Anyhow, in disappointment I came home, ate White Castle for lunch, knitted on my Sabine until my fingers started to go numb, took a 15 minute break and then went to tonight's raid. (I know, I know, I'm stupid.) They're still tingling, and I ought to go put my braces on, but I'm being stupid and stubborn. I will once I finish typing this. And finish my dailies.

View all icons
Wedding + Pointfest

Posted at 11 Dec 2008 11:58:13 AM

Friend's wedding was Saturday. Wedding went off with only a minor hitch (one of the groommen's mothers had a small accident), and then we went home to kill five and a half hours (I kid you not) before the reception.

The wedding reaffirmed our decision not to do the thing formally, that's for sure... at least it was short and absolutely textbook. Reception was fine (equally textbook), except for the occasional screwups re: very drunk bridal party*, feedback-prone sound system, video projector and a craptastic DJ. But hey! At the end of the day, they're still married. And at this moment, probably on a honeymoon on some very correct (per textbook) hot beach.

*apparently this is par for the course? as nobody seemed in the least surprised or upset.

Reception went 'til midnight, when we went home and collapsed.

Sunday was Pointfest. We had no idea that a schedule of the bands was available ahead of time (it sure wasn't on the Point's website) so we got there about 2 hours before the good acts started playing. Met up with Brian, Quin, Drew, Pat and some other people we saw briefly during the day... saw some good acts, and it was pretty cool overall. Had a raging headache and ohgod sunburn by the end of the day, though... through the SPF 45, too! Sitting here at my desk looking (and feeling) rather like boiled lobster is not my idea of an awesome Monday.

Bowling starts tonight with a short 'welcome' meeting @ 6:30. The teams are 4-player co-ed, so Dan and I aren't sure who else we'll have.

Desperately cranky and want to be home with icepacks on my face and shoulders. That's all for now.

View all icons
Weekend [in] Review

Posted at 11 Dec 2008 11:58:05 AM

Saturday morning, I snatched the couple of hours of sunlight that we had and ...played WoW. When it became apparent that I may want to actually take advantage of the rare burst of light, I gathered up the languishing pea plants, carrots, peppers (possibly the only hearty-looking seedlings) and lettuce and headed outside to the newly-finished garden.

Some time later, sore wrists and legs attested to time spent clinging to the outside of a 4x8 wooden box*. I attempted to turn enough soil and peat moss into the native clay that it would be a viable growing environment, and maybe? succeeded. I wouldn't put the carrots over the spot where the clay was mounded, but it should hopefully be alright for the peppers.

In the ground are: sugar snap peas along the back wall, Riesenstraube and Black Cherry tomatoes, jalepenos, hungarian wax peppers, Chinese Five Color peppers, Mini Red Bell peppers, Danvers Half Long carrots, and a mix of red leaf lettuce. It would be neat to have the onions and broccoli, but until I get a better idea of how much space what I have now is going to take up, there's no point in potentially crowding everything.

Seedlings to date: 17
Inquisitive cat: 1

We headed out in the afternoon to the MU-330 concert downtown. The opening acts were really, really awful, but the actual show was fun. Too bad we didn't know that MU-330 was playing at 6... we could have saved ourselves 2 1/2 hours and a lot of aural pain. I don't really mind that it got out so late, though - it gave us an excellent excuse to arrive late for (Dan) and skip entirely (me) the bachelor/bachelorette parties which were going on that evening. Dan said the guys were absolutely shitfaced when he arrived sometime after midnight and there was no sign of the girls being home yet. You have no idea how relieved I am to not have gone to that...

Naturally, the night after I got everything in the ground (oh, those poor peas...) we had a massive windstorm. Really bad - there were tornadoes in other parts of the country, and I'm thankful that we didn't get hit. The front light on the house was shattered in what I'm told sounded like a gunshot - the metal was literally sheared and glass was everywhere on the driveway. Power was out in south county; we were ok.

So, Sunday was spent purchasing a new light sconce and installing it. We had a look around for the birch trees Dan wants, but didn't find anything really promising. Better luck in the fall, I think. We did find the herbs that I wanted at a small farmer's market, so while Dan finished the sconce I returned to playing in the dirt. Herbs are once again in the cedar planter boxes I brought from Binghamton, but are set out in the yard to get some sun and for the cat to chew on.

*I am giving serious thought to doing some basic landscaping around the box ... it wouldn't take much, I don't think, to dig a few 'stairs' and put flagstones down, maybe level off a couple of feet on the high point of the hill so that I'm sitting level while trying to work instead of leaning downhill. It could actually be quite pretty! The tricky part would be building it so that if a second 4x4x8 bed could still be put in uphill of the first.

View all icons
Happy Hallowe'en

Posted at 11 Dec 2008 11:55:13 AM

Ok, so, Sox won. No real surprise to anyone there, but ... they still suck.

This weekend was fabulous, and completely worth the sleep-deprivation of the last night. It involved (to sum up): Two sets of Aunts and Uncles, one sister and brother-in-law, one 2-year-old. Two nights in Iowa, stopping in Illinois on the way to the concert at the House of Blues in Chicago. One opening band which more or less sucked, except for the guitarist who really was too good for that band. One goth rock band which I found highly intriguing and entertaining, but with which the boy wasn't quite sure what to do. 10 Years took the stage then, and predictably, absolutely rocked out. Then they finally got around to the main act, Sevendust, who also rocked the hell out and which was a damn good time. A thoroughly deafening evening all 'round!

Of course, the drive back to St Louis from Chicago wasn't quite so entertaining, but hey, what's a little sleep-deprivation in the name of a good time?

In other news, Happy Halloween! I am dressed up as Me. In addition to being costume day at work (several people did in fact dress up, and quite creatively) it was also chili day. I technically brought in cole slaw, but I'm not sure if they even looked in the fridge for it to put it on the table. I'm not too worried about this, as I'm still not convinced that the two mesh terribly well... I wouldn't know, as eating just "chili" is still a little weird to me. I mean, it's like a meat sauce, only there's no pasta. And I could see serving it over potatoes, but there aren't any. And it's a bit like soup, only it's usually too thick. *shrug* It's just an odd conception for a meal. I solved my embarrassment/dilemma by skedaddling out of the office when the festivities started, and enjoyed a tasty salad while reading Phantom of the Opera over in the cafe.

I read through a pile of BF's sister's food magazines while we were there, and she was positively angelic to have copied out all the recipes that I was interested in. Tried a nifty-sounding layered pumpkin bread, one with the cream cheese already in it, last night... but something was definitely off. In the first place, the batter itself filled the pan completely, without the filling. Secondly, 2 tsp of baking powder ensured that it was going to rise all over the place inside the oven, which it did, making it look messy. Thirdly, the baking time of an hour at 350 was definitely not enough for this very dense bread, as when I took it out and de-panned it after having let it cool, it was seriously squishy and underdone.

I'll give it another shot, for sure, and hopefully report back. :)

View all icons
An itemized list

Posted at 11 Dec 2008 11:53:07 AM

Because *I* think it's funny, my last two days (inclusive) have gone thusly:

9:00: Get up, only to discover that Outlook has the IQ of a retarded eggplant, and that my meeting is not infact for another half-hour. Go back to bed.
9:30: Get told that I really don't need to be on this conference call anyway. Go back to bed.
10:00: Realize that if I do not get up soon and do errands, I will not be here when the pager arrives, then it will get taken back to the FedEx place and then I will be in trouble.
11:00: Get dressed. Tell people that I will be afk for a couple of hours, since the post office and the mall two business days before Christmas are guaranteed to be quite the collective party.
11:15: Am out of the post office. Rock on.
1:00pm: Am finally out of the mall, and am feeling slightly homicidal.
2:00pm: Pager arrives, and the fun begins.
Sometime that afternoon: Begin discussing pager hand-off with previous pager holder, and am informed that some significant processing issues have cropped up which will require equally significant catching-up later. Mmmm... can already see how this will play out.
That afternoon and evening: Play WoW and check email. (This is normal.)
8:00pm: Am informed that an additional 16 hours or so will be needed to fix the aforementioned issues, and to check back tomorrow afternoon. Simultaneously wince and giggle with slightly-hysterical delight, since the train wreck this will be is already becoming clear. Go back to playing WoW and checking email.

2am: Have been alerted of issue requiring an immediate solution.
2:10am: Am rapidly discovering that the documented solution is in fact so much crap, and wake up the oncall DBA to fixplskthx.
3:30am: Problem is still not solved. Give up in disgust, and let the poor DBA go get his well-deserved rest. Also, attempt to get some well-deserved rest myself.
3:30 am - 8:00am: Attempt to sleep, yet get woken up every half-hour or so by emails. (This is normal, albeit depressingly so.)
8:00 - 10:00: Do normal work-related stuff.
10:00: Realize that I have exactly one hour to get out of the house. Take world's fastest slowest shower, since I am still resisting wakefulness with all my bodily power, pack and hope that I'm not forgetting anything, write emails to the wonderful people covering pager for me today while I am driving and at the TSO concert, and come to the conclusion that it is 11:00 and I am still not out of the house.
11:00: Load car. Realize that I have neither watered the plants, cleaned my apartment nor done last night's dishes. Verbally apologize to the apartment at large, and pull the door shut behind me.
11:05: Realize that rented movies are due back on Saturday. Swear, and then retrieve them.
11:15: Realize that today is clearly the day they gave free drivers' licenses to anyone who cared to apply, regardless of IQ, reflexes or aptitude. Swear some more, and arrive finally at Starbucks.
11:20: Am calmed down slightly by caffeine, and on the way to the video place.
11:45: Arrive impossibly late to said video place. Yikes.
12:00: Am finally on the highway. Jeez.
2:30pm: Arrive in Coxsackie to pick up Dan, and immediately turn around and hightail it up to the Pepsi Arena.
4:00: Thoroughly enjoy the TSO concert. YAY omgsquee happy :D
8:00: Am on the way home. Arrive, greet family, scrounge up something for dinner, am told that "I look tired." Hmm.
10:00: Yay, internets. Check email and discover to my joy that nothing serious has broken which I need to deal with. Also discover the new ETA of that solution has been pushed back yet again, and that I will need to somehow invent at least 48 mythical hours in order to catch it up again.
10:55: Finish this and realize that it is not nearly as funny as I think it is, but am sleep-deprived enough to post it anyway.

Notes: Yes, the TSO concert was wonderful, and I loved every minute of it :D Dan and I have gone every year for the past 3, and really I hope that we can keep up the tradition. We went to the afternoon show because I was a dumbass this year and didn't actually get tickets until last week, but honestly the 4pm was probably the better choice this year (as opposed to the 8pm) given the availability times of people to cover for me.

Not sure what's going on tomorrow (Dad?) or when I'll head back to Binghamton. It may be either Saturday or Sunday, depending on that server and my personal schedule... I tend to get really tired and that makes me not want to deal with people during these weeks (not that any of you have noticed though, right? ;) ), so honestly the sooner I'm back in isolation the better it will be for all concerned.

Oh, and - all the well-meaning people who keep inviting me to Christmas dinner because I will be all by my lonesome on Monday? Really, I'm ducking out of our own family's dinner because I am guaranteed to be in a heinous mood, probably unshowered for a couple of days and in general quite antisocial. I might bite. I will certainly growl. Also, not particularly fond of having to be polite and full of appropriate levels of holiday cheer with lots of people I don't know. I appreciate the thought, I really do - but I'm avoiding the whole fiasco for some very good reasons. It'll be ok, really :)

Still addicted to this new Three Days Grace album. This is some good stuff, people!

View all icons
Virginia, summer 2006

Posted at 11 Dec 2008 11:50:44 AM

Wow, an update!

I've been down in Virginia since Monday, as we've some new people on the team and it's always nice to actually see the people one is working with. My hotel is (was) gorgeous; a lot more expensive than I'm sure the expense people will be happy with, but when you give me only half a week to make reservations in a highly commercial area, you take what you can get. And I certainly default to better places rather than worser when given a short list of options.

Monday --
I got to the office around noon. I found my cubicle, said hi to everyone, and then went to set up for the afternoon. I discovered that no longer did my laptop recognize its power cord...and the battery was dead. It had been slowly getting worse, requring me to jiggle and cajole the power cable until the laptop recognized it, and maybe something on the car ride just finally knocked the solder points between the connector and the motherboard loose. So, I had no laptop.

We just hired 2 new people, and someone cracked an LCD the day before. So, TRX had no spare laptops either.

On tuesday someone could bring in an extra that they'd been using for a demo model, but not by that afternoon.

So I went to find my hotel and took the afternoon off :-)

I decided around 7 that I ought to go find a grocery store so that I didn't have to starve or live off of the popcorn in the room. You know me - this is always a bad idea. I looked at a map, and it said to go out of my road, take a left and then another left, and then go straight until I practically ran into the supermarket.

I missed the second left. *headdesk*

Now, in Northern Virginia, roads are not NORMAL. They don't go one way, then you can turn around and go the opposite way to get back where you were. No, they jut off at odd angles, have 5-road intersections, lots of overpasses and off- and on-ramps are not always right across the highway for each other. Roads spontaneously change their names for a few miles, and go from highway 6-lanes to residential 2-lanes in the blink of an eye.

All of this adds up to Laura having a very bad time...

I wandered around completely blindly for about an hour, watching the gas tank I hadn't had a chance to refill after my drive down go from a quarter of a tank to dangerously close to empty. By dumb luck I ran smack into a Giant (not literally!), and it had a gas station a few doors down... so I bought some food, got some gas, then picked a direction and drove in it.

Another hour and a half saw me *finally* come to a road that I recognized, and my luck saw to it that it remained recognizable (I'd come across familiar highways before, but they turned spontaneously into South Broad Street and remained stubbornly residential for miles until I decided that right road or no, I was going the wrong way). Yogurt melted and frozen dinners dangerously close to the same, I piled back into my room and resolved never to drive anywhere in NoVa again.

Tuesday --
Normal day at work, nothing special. Got a new (to me) laptop, which we just transferred my hard drive into so that I don't even notice a difference.* I'm assigned to a lot of trouble support tickets and such now, rather than real development. This is nothing short of frustrating, but at least I got to talk to my leads now (we've temporary co-leads until a new manager is hired. The old one has left, and I can't say that I'm sorry) and we're more or less on the same page. I actually solved one of the tickets by the end of the day, though, and that feels pretty good.

I went up to Rockville in the evening to watch my cousins' dance recital rehersal, which was actually surprisingly fun :D It reminded me scarily of all the high school musical rehersals, with the same joking, running around and chatting onstage while waiting for the director to give notes. I really do miss that...
We all went out to get ice cream afterwards, and strawberry sundaes assuage even the most homesick hearts ;)

*no differences except for some reason, my windows don't shade anymore. I am completely mystified but haven't gotten around to reinstalling Litestep and/or Windowblinds yet to see whether that fixes it.

Wednesday --
Again, normal day at work. The whole team went out for lunch at a really good italian restaurant near the office. The best part of it, IMHO, was their soft rolls and dipping oil - I don't know how they made that oil, and of course I couldn't exactly ask, but I'd love to experiment with things like that. It was slightly spicy, slightly herby, with some leaves in it that I couldn't immediatley identify...not just generic red pepper flakes + basil + garlic. Really yummy...I only ate half my lunch because of it!

A couple of friends from work, Matt and Renford, came over in the evening to hang out in my hotel and watch the AQ raid. Unfortunately, although I was first in the queue (!) I didn't actually get to go, so we mostly just goofed around and showed off whatever random things we had on our computers. I certainly had fun, and that was a better way to kill an evening than most.

Thursday --
Completely uneventful...and kind of restful. I got a couple more things done at work, and spent an excellent evening with a bowl of cold velveeta shells & cheese and a couple of Cat Who.. books. :-D

Friday --
Got into work a bit late, owing to the hotel bed being unbelievably comfortable. Packed up all my stuff, shoehorned it into the car, and checked out. Hotels have this thing now where they shove your receipt under your door at 7am and then let you leave your room key by the phone. Handy, but disconcerting somehow.

I'm heading up to Catskill this weekend, and am planning on driving more or less straight there once I leave the office. I'll stop in Binghamton to see Chris, grab dinner and refuel at a Starbucks, but with any luck I'll be in Catskill before 11. Going to be a long day of driving... so far the car hasn't complained any, and I'm thankful for it.

One thing I noticed about Virginia - every single car is less than 2 years old, costs more than I've owned in my life, and is shiny. I mean just-washed-it-yesterday shiny. It's absolutely unbelievable - I think I maybe saw a dozen cars that actually looked as though they'd been used, and certainly none as old as mine (well, not many are... ;) ).

And you'd think that with every second person in an Audi, BMW or Mercedes and the rest in new Hyundais and Toyotas, people wouldn't be chronic tailgaiters. Nope. The roads are *packed*, and people dart in and out of traffic all the time to get to/from the silly roads that jut out everywhere, so you're constantly stopping short - I don't understand it. People drive like they're in bumper cars rather than $200,000 worth of immaculately-painted finely-tuned machine. I will never understand.

It's 2:00 now and just about time for me to get out of here, and this is already more than long enough. I'll be in Catskill until Tuesday morning, as Dan, some friends and I are going to the Goo Goo Dolls concert at SPAC on Monday evening. Next weekend Chris and I are heading up to Lake George (YAY!), so it'll be a busy week :)

View all icons
Billy Joel concert + False is finally lvl60!

Posted at 11 Dec 2008 11:50:31 AM

I'm finally getting a chance to update, yay! It's really been unforgivably long, considering how much has been crammed into the past week.

Last Saturday, Dan came out to Binghamton for the day, and that evening Chris, Dan and I drove on up to Syracuse for the Billy Joel My Lives concert! I can't even begin to describe how wonderful it was - I honestly think that it's one of the best times I can remember having. He started off with Prelude/Angry Young Man, and went right through Summer Highland Falls, Billy the Kid, Goodnight Saigon, Miami 2017 and Zanzabar to Only the Good Die Young, Piano Man (!) and Italian Restaurant. There was only one song that I didn't know, which is pretty good ;) Thanks to Dan's spawn-camping of the ticketmaster page last December we had fantastic floor seats, and they didn't mind cameras at all. The place was *HUGE*, and the whole crowd sang along at every possible opportunity...the effect was awe-inspiring and just indescribable. The guys from Orange County Choppers showed up onstage in the middle to give Billy a shiny new bike, which was a pretty neat extra!

I think, though, that Dan and I singing along while Billy played Italian Restaurant live right up there on the stage shall forever remain one of my favorite memories...I'm getting all teary again while I write this, which damnit is just not fair since it's a really happy one!

We came back with sufficient loot to prove we were there, and although I only had a crappy camera with me, I do have pictures. I need to get them off said camera now...

Pager duty wrapped up on Thursday, and although it definitely went better than I expected I'm glad that it's done. Wednesday night was really long due to a mysterious transaction causing the Java code to fail (the exact cause remains undetermined...I think I need to work on that). I'm sort of miffed that I gave an honest answer to "How much sleep have you gotten?", and then got pulled off of active duty...my lead sent an email out saying "Can anyone cover the pager 'til the next guy comes on this afternoon?" I don't know, it doesn't seem fair really - it's not like I asked for nor needed help, and weekdays are pretty slow after you wrap up all the morning tasks (which I'd already done). Chris made the point that once you get to a certain level of sleep-depravation they can't really trust you to do things correctly, even if you still think you're ok...and while I understand that, I'm still going to be miffed. Le sigh.
Other than that, yeah...went well. Definitely a lack of sleep during the week (I think I was running on 7 hours, spread out over 3 days, by the end there...resulted in my getting sick, of course) but damnit, for an admittedly approval-dependant overly-responsible workaholic, it's the perfect job. I really like feeling needed, so even if I'm exhausted and have barely eaten that day, if I know that I'm doing something necessary that only I can do and do well, I still feel good and satisfied with everything. It's so hard to explain the mindset that I get into, that allows me to drive myself literally to ruin all while enjoying the work that I'm doing...it's very different-feeling, even internally, than my usual only-slightly-stressed way of thinking. I dare say that someone will stumble across this entry some day and will know what I mean, and if so, that's enough.

I was supposed to be able to take Friday off, but due to the amount of non-pager related work I still had all backed up it just wasn't possible. I had to promise to take a day off this week instead (today wouldn't have worked either). I can't say that I mind, now that I'm back in normal-Laura mode ;-)

Of course, instead of trying to get myself back onto some semblance of a normal sleep schedule this weekend, Chris and I went out on with friends on Friday, and I did my first Molten Core run on Saturday. I was still only 59 (the lowest out of all 40 of us, I think) and it was fantastic. I only stayed through Lucifron and Magmadar (by then it was 4am), although I saw in the guild note on Sunday that they'd gone on to take Gehennas and I think Garr. It was quite an experience, and we did *really* well - this guild is fantastic, and I'm feeling really lucky to be a part of it. Shin chose well when HoP merged into KotW!

I had a botched Scholo 5-man yesterday, as well as a pretty bad ZG run in the afternoon...can't really blame anyone for ZG, as some of the KotW people were running one of our sister guilds through for their first time. They didn't have enough people to field a 20man, though, so it was half-PuG half-guildies, and we didn't have a tank who was really equipped to handle the bosses down there. Meh, my intro to endgame raiding was pretty enlightening, and I imagine that it's the same for all of those
guys :)

Later last night I went on a really good guild HU Strat run, which is where I (finally) hit 60!!! I got a Righteous Orb and a shiny new pair of Ash Covered Boots for my birthday, too ^_^ Time to level Bron... ;)

There will be absolutely no WoW tonight, as good grief I need to sleep, as well as do some cleaning, etc. With any luck I won't need to stay late today...

View all icons
Happy belated St Pat's day, among other things

Posted at 12 May 2008 11:43:01 AM

Well, I think I should probably update this, seeing as how it's been awhile :-)

What's going on... Work's been really busy this week, I've been in the office 'til 9:30 and 7:30 these past couple of days, due to a MAJORCRISISOMG that seems to have started for our friends across the pond, so much involved research has been necessary. I start pager duty tomorrow, which should be erm....interesting. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Also, I've a phone conf. at 5am tomorrow morning (that crisis...), for which I need to be in the office and which means getting up at least by 4 ...that being the case, I'll certainly not be going out tonight. I may not even go to sleep, seeing as my usual bedtime is 1 or 2, and I really feel worse on 2 hours' sleep than I do on none at all. It will be a very, very long day, I can tell you that much! I'm planning on occupying my evening/night doing some work with my recipe book, installing DSL2.2 on my printserver, configuring its wireless connection (*crosses fingers*), possibly ordering some new parts for my main computer, cleaning my apartment and very probably playing a good deal of early-morning WoW :)

Oh yuk, I just realized that Starbucks isn't open at 4am. Craaaaaaaaaaapola, this will be an interesting phone conf.

We've joined up with a new WoW guild, Knights of the Watch. HoP didn't really fall apart so much as it did just sort of wander...the high-levels really wanted to raid on something approaching a regular schedule (as opposed to "never", which is about what we could pull off w/o resorting to half-PuG's). So we're mostly all in KotW now, with a few exceptions of people who had friends elsewhere. I like them, they're fun, and definitely helpful....there's 15-20 people on at 9pm, 10 or more of 'em 60s, and 270 members total.

Hmm, what else is going on? Billy Joel concert in Syracuse with Dan and Chris this Saturday!

I've learned some truly awesome bash tricks lately, if anyone cares. There's a couple of fantastic pages at Deadman.org (here and here) that are really helpful, and I'm learning a lot. I like commandline gibberish, it makes me happy ^_^

Been dl'ing everything that I see at OC Remix, lately...as my CD drive on my laptop doesn't work, this is my way of getting fresh mp3s, as I'm frequently entirely too lazy to actually reload my iPod. I should add that to my list of things to do tonight, as well... OCremix has a podcast that I'm interested in, and now P-A does too...I can't keep them actually on my iPod of course, but I'll certainly take a listen. Although with the wait for the P-A one over 200minutes now, if anyone wants it let me know and I'll give you a temp login for my ftpserver. Clearly I need to sort out my router so that it'll let my bittorrent client through, because if this is any kind of a regular thing...ouch.

Chris and I were down in the city for St. Patrick's day - we had dinner at his aunt's, and spent Saturday knocking around Manhattan with his whole gang from school....they're a lot of fun, and I liked 'em! It's been awhile since I've been part of a group of friends (even peripherally) and it's a good feeling :-)

That's it for now, largely because I actually have things to do. Remind me to kick myself into gear and crank out something for this week's ffawards...


Etsy Shop

Things I Make!

Laura Helton Designs @ Ravelry

Patterns for Knitting